Tuesday, January 01, 2013

#oneword {twenty13}

Grab a nice hot cup of coffee {or tea if that is your preferences}, and join me in discussing twenty13. This idea first popped up over at beauty in humble places, but since then I've seen it several times over the bloggy and interwebs world. The idea is to pick one word to encompass your goals and resolutions for twenty13. I had to ponder and research this for a bit, but I settled on a word that I believe matches my current aspirations.


  • to bring to a fine or pure state; free from impurities
  • to purify from what is coarse, vulgar, or debasing; make elegant or cultured
  • to become pure
  • "I will refine them like silver and test them like gold. They will call on my name and I will answer them; I will say, 'They are my people,' and they will say, 'The Lord is our God.' Zechariah 13:9b."
Why refine?

Because it is transforming from our human state of thinking and acting, into a Christ-like state. 
Because it is denying our cross and taking His.
Because it is becoming who we are truly meant to be.

When I went to Pinterest for some visual inspiration, I ended up looking at a lot of pictures of ballerinas {bear with me}. To perform ballet is to train your body to do something that is not easy or natural. It takes dedication and time. The same could be said for Christianity. It is not within our human nature to be unselfish, but through training and practice, we can be refined.

{see the entire twenty13 board here}

There it is then. So simple and yet so weighty. In twenty13, I resolve to be . . . refined.


6 comments:

Janine said... [Reply to comment]

I really like this idea, I might choose mine also!

Janine xx
BakeGlueandTrend

KatySue Pillsbury said... [Reply to comment]

I love that word! I look forward to seeing how this word plays into your life this year!

Jenn @ My Not So Glamorous Life said... [Reply to comment]

Mine is "Kindness"

My goal for 2013 is to be deliberately more kind EVERY DAY. To spread that kindness everywhere that I go, and to inspire more kindness among those around me.

amber kanady said... [Reply to comment]

love this! :)

Janine said... [Reply to comment]

I nominated you for the Liebster award (apologies if you have already been nominated or not interested in this kind of thing) but if you are interested..

http://bakeglueandtrend.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/liebster-award.html

Janine xx
BakeGlueandTrend

Erin said... [Reply to comment]

ADORE this so much! What a beautiful thing to aspire to :)