Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Thirsty


I reach down and crack off a dried-out stem of grass.
The air is stale and there is no moisture to be found.
I didn’t even notice the state of the weather until recently.
Where were the warning signs?

The sand is hot and dusty between my toes.
It burns the soles of my feet whenever I take a step.
The unrelenting sun makes my skin hot and sweaty.
I am uncomfortable in myself.

All of this motivates me.
To move.
To grow.
To find water.

You reach down and stroke my sweaty back.
You take my dry and frizzy hair in your soft, cool hands.
There is relief.

“He said to me: ‘It is done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. To him who is thirsty I will give to drink without cost from the spring of the water of life.’ Revelation 21:6.”


0 comments: