Wednesday, February 13, 2013

In the Name of Love & Other Things {Part 2}

Valentines Day. Some of us love it. Some of us hate it. Some of us are indifferent. Either way, there is a day, and that day is focused on love. Yesterday, today, and tomorrow, I am sharing some thoughts about love.


Today's edition will be focusing on the unrealistic expectations of love.
  • It is not all-fulfilling.
  • It is not the reason for living.
  • It is imperfect.
  • It makes mistakes.
  • It requires more forgiveness than we prepare for.
  • It requires constant work.
  • It will disappoint us.
Someone once told me that love and marriage are hard work, because if we don't work at it, we will lose it. This same person said that it is easy to love our children and work at those relationships. But as for our spouses, that love is not always easy. But Lord-willing, we strive everyday to become better at loving. Because sometimes love is unrealistic.


3 comments:

Ginny said... [Reply to comment]

I agree that the love for our children is different than our love for our spouse, although I can't explain why. Love her on earth definitely does take work and it's not always going to be puppies and flowers. Our spouses aren't perfect and we sure aren't either. :)
Ginny
mynewfavoriteoutfit.blogspot.com

Jeans and a Teacup said... [Reply to comment]

Love always requires work...I think that's why a lot of relationships don't last! But I like to take comfort in the fact that even though our love isn't perfect, God's love is!
~Jessica
Jeans and a Teacup

Janine BakeGlueandTrend said... [Reply to comment]

Ah this reflects exactly what I was rambling about in my last comment on the previous post. The bond and love for family (especially your children)is true and perfect and always there (and doesn't need to be worked at) but romantic love for your partner will always need to be worked at.

On another note, the love I have struggled most with is love for myself. I went through many years of self hatred and some very self destructive behaviours (involving an eating disorder for many many years, I haven't shared that with other blogger friends, but I trust you and those that follow your blog) I am slowly now (at the age of 31) starting to like myself and it is liberating. Maybe one day I will love myself as much as I love others?

Janine xx
Bake, Glue and Trend!