Thursday, July 26, 2012

No. 350 - Just Keep Swimming, Swimming, Swimming


Today is "Report Card Day". That term has been in my job life since . . . 2006, yep. Here is a little breakdown of the non-lifeguarding portion of my job.

Teaching swimming lessons is my favourite part of working in aquatics. I love working with the kids and seeing them progress. Granted, there are frustrating days {what job doesn't have those}, but for the most part, I go through each swimming lesson with a smile on my face.

At this pool, I run about 5- 8 classes every day for eight days {four each week}. Preschool levels and Levels 1-4 are 30 minutes long, and Levels 5-10 are 45 minutes long. Then at the end of each session, I make each kid a report card with a badge or a sticker and comments on what they did well on and what they could improve on. I really try to be as personal and relevant in my comments as possible.

My absolute favourite part though has got to be seeing the progression and seeing the kids recognize their progression. Nothing makes my heart swell as much as hearing a little one yell out, "I did it!" "Yes, yes you did." And that is the reason that I keep teaching swimming . . .


1 comments:

Stesha said... [Reply to comment]

I love teaching swimming lessons. I miss it so much, it was so fun to work with the little kids!

xxS