Wednesday, March 07, 2012

No. 209 - Going To The Chapel . . .

. . . and we're gonna get married.


It seems like there are a lot of weddings happening currently. All of this marital stuff has got me thinking about relationships and marriage. Not in the oh-I-wish-I-was-getting-married-now way, but more in the what-should-I-aspire-to-do-now way. Two weeks ago, Pastor Glen preached a sermon called "The Marriage Covenant", and he made an excellent point that has stuck with me.
He said, "Being single is not about waiting for someone to serve you;
it is about preparing to serve someone." 

This really hit home with me. Sometimes I am too busy thinking about how great it would be to have a relationship, because then I would "feel this" or "this" or "get to do this". All very much focused on myself. What if I began thinking about relationships as then I would get to "give this" or "serve this way" or "encourage in this manner." I believe this attitude can be transferred in any interaction, but I believe it is essentially important in a romantic relationship. 

I am nowhere near to being an expert on marriage, 
but I am an expert on what I want to strive for in myself. 
I want to be slow to speak, so someday I can hear what he is saying. 
I want to be compassionate, so someday I can understand where he is coming from. 
I want to be strong in the Lord, so someday I know how to pray for/with him.
I want to be healthy, so someday I can live a long life with him.
I want to be friendly, so someday I can be a part of a welcoming household.

These are just some of the things I think about before going to the chapel . . . 


0 comments: