Wednesday, February 29, 2012

No. 202 - A More Beautiful You

This morning I was reading a blogpost by Urban Nester entitled "breaks my heart". It was a great entry (I encourage you to check it out if you have time). The basic theme of the blog was women's insecurities and self-esteem issues with body image, particularly those in the high school age group. As a woman, I can attest that this is something that gets thrown in our faces more often than not. However, I also know that as a woman who professes to find her identity in the Lord, I have attempted to be thankful for the body and attributes He has given me. 

I remember explaining to a friend once about my reasons for wearing a bikini. Now, I know this may be controversial, but I wear a bikini not for any attention game or to be a "stumbling block" for men. Not by any means! I told my friend that I wear a bikini to show that I am comfortable in my own skin. To show that even if I weigh more that 170 pounds and have a few love handles here and there, I am still beautiful. Why? Because of Who made me.

Now, that being said, I also have an obligation to take care of my body. However, there is a fine line between health and extreme. Extreme is where we find issues like anorexia, bulimia, obesity, body-pride, low self-esteem, and obsession. It is easy to become any of these. Health is a lifestyle. Health is an attitude. Health is 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Anyways, the specific issue I am addressing is a woman's self-esteem regarding body image. I do not have a quick fix - not in the world we live in. All I have is a challenge. Spend some time alone this week and ask God how He sees you. What He sees in you. And why He made you. The very first thing I remembering hearing when I first heard God's voice was that He thought I was beautiful.
It was a life-changing moment. 

I have two things to leave you with this morning.

First, is the picture of the day. I snapped this photo while I was still in my gym workout clothes to show myself in pure, true light. Then I uploaded it on Picnik and worked my editing magic. I just wanted to show the difference.

Then, the second thing I want to leave you with is the song A More Beautiful You by Jonny Diaz. 
It speaks to the heart of this issue. 



Now, I don't know the specifics of who all reads my blog, but if I have said anything that touched on something in your life and you would like to chat about it, feel free to contact me by shooting me off an email under my Contact page. I would love to hear from you.



0 comments: