Sunday, August 07, 2011

Pursuit

Sometimes Paul Brandt's lyrics say it all:


I’d rather burn with desire deep in my soul,

And love like a fire that’s out of control, and laugh and dance and hope 
and chance and kiss
I’d rather live my whole life
with a sense of abandon,
Squeeze every drop out,
no matter what happens.
And not wonder what I've missed
I’d rather risk.


What is it about risk that scares humanity so much? We would rather criticize life and its components from the safety of a computer screen. I am not promoting protests, but at least they are risking their life, reputation, and safety for something they passionately believe in. What about creativity? Yesterday I watched a couple of my friends get up onto a stage and compete in a local talent show. They risked humiliation, criticism, and comfort in order to be vulnerable in an area of their life they were passionate about. So often we are content to let a select few be creative for us because it's too personal to reveal the passion inside.

I don't understand it, but I'm a victim to it.

What about love? True love and relationships take ultimate risk. It takes incredible strength for a man to risk it all when he asks a woman out. It takes a large amount of trust for a woman to risk her heart by saying yes. It takes risk to purse a Godly relationship in the current day and age. What about communication? How vulnerable is it to let someone you love so much see that far into your soul? Into the terrible parts, but only there can beauty be found and restored.

Pursue risk.


0 comments: