Saturday, June 02, 2012

No. 296 - Les Miserables The Movie


Have you ever heard of the Broadway production Les Miserables?
It is based on a novel by Victor Hugo that was published in 1862.
The musical was written by Claude-Michel Schonberg and opened in 1985.
It follows the story of ex-convict Jean Valjean.
The antagonist/villain is the policeman Javert.
We meet Fantine, the mother who turned prostitute to support her daughter.
We meet Cozette, the starving child Valjean raises.
We meet Marius, the lovestruck scholar who joins the revolution.
We meet Eponine, the street rat with unrequited love.
We meet others such as the Thenardiers, Enjolras, and Gavroche. 

But it is not just the characters and their stories that grip you,
it is the music. 
In a word, it is thrilling.

I first heard of Les Miserables in 2006 when my vocal instructor took myself, Crystal, and Isaac to a neighbouring town to see a high school production. Wow. I think my world changed. I soon went on to sing "On My Own" in a recital competition. Since then, I've kept up with the music on YouTube and whatnot, and {along with Phantom}, it has remained a favourite. Moreover, it is a musical that both my sister and I geek out over
{check out this amazing high school production on YouTube here}. 

And now, it is going to be a movie {after 26 years}.
Watch for it on December 13, 2012.

And a few days ago, the first trailer was released.
I have watched it several times since then.
Enjoy!



0 comments: