Wednesday, March 21, 2012

No. 223 - Politics


Right now, I am taking Political Science as a mandatory elective (although I don't know why they call it an elective when it's mandatory). Anyways, I am having a bit of a difficult time with it. I guess when I started the course, I figured it would be a lot about Canada, history, facts, dates, people, and systems. It is all that, but this class should have been called Political Philosophy not Political Science.

The content is very much about controversial areas such as freedom, equality, rights, morals, values, etc. This is interesting except that I am finding it very difficult to know what it expected of me in the course. When I write the answer to a midterm, I lose marks because I am not thinking outside of the box even though all the right answers are there on the page. 

Another thing that I am finding frustrating is the picture of negativity painted over Canadian politics. Now, I will be the first to admit the system is flawed. However, at the beginning of the semester, our instructor told us that the purpose of this course is so that we could be better involved and care more. However, I am finding the lack of hopefulness and right course of action disheartening. Maybe I am asking too much? I am just so thankful to live in Canada, and as far as political systems and economies go, I thought we had it pretty good.

Either way, tonight is the second midterm, so we'll see how that goes . . .


0 comments: