Saturday, November 26, 2011

No. 107 - Reflection on Surgery


I feel as if I learned a lot in the past three weeks. You go from nervousness and dependence to confidence and independence. It was awesome to grow my skill base and to have different kinds of interactions as a surgery nurse.


I think the biggest thing I learned on the surgery unit is communication and time management. Through all the charting, medications, assessments, and vitals, a nurse is constantly rushing around. But once you enter that client's room, I learned you have to slow down, take a deep breath, and concentrate on them at that time. It doesn't matter about the other things that need taking care of. In that moment, you are with the patient, and they are your priority. 


I am excited for my next few weeks on Medicine!

0 comments: