Saturday, November 16, 2013

History Is A Funny Thing . . .

Blurry iPhone pic courtesy of Sister.

FACT: To begin on a completely unrelated blogpost note, I usually have the BEST inspiration and motivation for blogpost ideas while I am supposed to be writing my 10 page APA nursing paper on the relationship between socioeconomic status and the nursing student as an aggregate. Six pages in, and I turn into Carrie Bradshaw with my ability to weave words together. So here I am sitting in Starbucks for the 3rd Saturday in row attempting to finish this dumb paper {obligatory college student adjective} but instead find myself writing about . . . 

. . . how history is a funny thing.

Last night, I performed at a local Christmas event. And by performed I mean played piano. And by played piano I mean played Christmas music for about 25 minutes. No big deal right? I mean I have been playing on church worship teams for the past year and a half. I have taken twelve years of classical training. I have even competed provincially back in my high school days. So no big deal.

Wrong.

I felt as if I haven't "performed" in front of people for a long time. And it is crazy no matter how many times you do it before, you still feel as if this is the first time. It was the first time in Fort McMurray. And it just felt unfamiliar. At first. The first song was the worst, admittedly. New keyboard. New environment. New lighting. Playing standing up instead of sitting down. But all these components were just amplified by my nerves. 

Once I got through my jumbled version of "It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas", things got progressively better. Sure there was a mistake here or there, but I managed to slide back into that performance zone that I have been in so very many times before. And guess what, I loved doing it! There was the standard embarrassment of the mistakes made, but overall, I just loved performing again. Practising and working towards a performance is so much fun. 

I feel like I'm on a new era of piano playing in my life again, and I'm excited to see where this takes me. Music is one of my favourite things in the world. It is emotions. It is stories. It is communication. It is love. It is relationships. So, here we go again . . .

Happy Saturday! {Now back to paper writing, blah}. 


1 comments:

Nancy Hawreschuk said... [Reply to comment]

As I was reading your blog, the performer in me was nodding her head !! Lol, and I have been singing in public since I was 5 years old!! I am so glad to hear that you are playing in public again, a talent as awesome as yours must not be wasted!! ��