Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Summer Songs: "That Will Be Your Defining Moment"

 photo IMG_2706_zps596ddab4.jpg

There have been some thoughts swirling around in this ole' brain of mine lately. Last Wednesday, I had the opportunity to attend a wonderful small group that I have been going to all summer long. We have been studying the book of the Bible, James, and some of the topics of discussion were quite thought provoking. I thought I'd share them.

We were talking about how so often we like to have the answers and plans for the next year or five years or ten. We think our lives are going a certain way and often get disheartened or bitter when things don't turn out the way we plan. In fact, that is the attitude that most people have when they move to this place. It is a city to make money, take care of life, and then get out and begin actually living. But as I have shared so many times on this blog, it's not about the destination, it's about the journey.

"Now listen, you who say, 'Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money.' Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. James 4:13-14."

I definitely fall into this trap. Especially as a college student, I don't feel as if I can begin living until I have my nursing degree and am actually nursing. That is why this summer has been so difficult. I feel as if I am just biding time and making money until my life begins. But I can't live like that. No one can. Someone at that small group said, "Seek answers and be Spirit-led, but just for tomorrow, not for the year." Wow, can I do that? That is the epitome of YOLO or whatever cliche phrase you want to assign. But can we actually do it? Can we wake up today and live 100% just today?

Today's Summer Song is an oldie. I remember listening to it in my youth group days. But it truly speaks to the message of this blogpost. Let each moment of every day be a defining moment, because or else, you'll always be waiting for life to start {Defining Moment by NewSong}. 

Happy Wednesday!




2 comments:

Lisa - respect the shoes said... [Reply to comment]

Oh it's going to get worst with the cases of the Tomorrows once you're working full-time. There's a whole lot more "I'll do X once I get Y finished." Enjoy life now! ;o)

Alissa said... [Reply to comment]

Oh I feel like this was meant for me right now! I am a college student so I totally get htis.