Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Summer Songs: "When I'm Gone/When I'm Gone/You're Gonna Miss Me When I'm Gone"


So not only can I sing the words to the Cups song made famous by the movie Pitch Perfect {in fact, check out a cute music video made with Anna Kendrick to that song}, but I can also do the accompanying cup rhythm. Something I am very proud about. Haha. I was reminded of the song the other night when I was sitting on a very comfy couch stuffed to the brim with six lovely ladies by a campfire surrounded by a wonderful group of friends and family. And we sang that song. Probably very badly with plenty of room for improvement. But we sang. We also sang The Lion Sleeps Tonights, Backstreet Boys, and Titanium. It tends to happen when us girls hang out. We sing. Obnoxiously. But we're not singing to sound pretty. We're singing to make memories.

I've mentioned time and time again that I don't know the direction my life will take after I finish my schooling. I moved to this place specifically to go to school. So although I love it here and could very well stay here for 5, 10, 20 years, I am also very aware that my life could take me elsewhere after graduation. Beaches of Australia? Mission field of South America? Medical clinics of Africa? The world is an open door when you are young. But that is the future, and this is the present.

Memories like that sing-song around the campfire are the stuff that life is made of. We are only get richer when we make memories. Different people value different things differently {see what I did there, haha}. But me, I like the small things. I like cuddling on a couch outdoors with my girls. I like schooling my brother and cousin in a random game of Monopoly {see Instagram for proof}. I like phone calls from family and friends who are far away. I like posting these things on my blog so I will always remember them. And when they are gone, I will miss them.

But here is the catch. I would rather have more things to miss than nothing at all. If and when I leave this oil town, I want to have deep roots. I want to miss so many people and things. I want it to be so difficult to leave and say goodbye. Because you know what that would mean, it would mean I lived and made memories and invested while I am here. So that's what I'm doing today. I'm making memories. What are you doing?


Happy Wednesday!


0 comments: