Monday, July 08, 2013

Summer Songs: "We Found Love In A Hopeless Place"

 Pictures of my updated mood boards in my bedroom. See the previous boards here


Some call my town hopeless . . . end of the line . . . money town . . .  oil town . . . nothing but a bunch of filth. I could go on. But you get the idea. I hear it time and time again. People have no idea what it is like to live here until they do. And then often when people move and commit to here, they say, "It's nothing like what I thought." If I had $100 for every time I heard that, I could pay for my tuition.

Now, that isn't to say there aren't hopeless parts. There are times when it is the end of the line. It is a money town. An oil town. Etc. But the point is that is not ALL it is. So what is the point? You have probably already guessed it already. A town . . . a city . . . a home . . . a city, it is what you make of it.

I'll admit. I had the same thoughts when I first moved here. I was here to get my nursing degree and get back out here. This was a temporary stop on the way to my true future. This was a bump in the road, and soon I'd be back to the straight highway. It wasn't until I listened to a sermon by an intern pastor a few years back that I really began to see this place as my home. He said that we had to plug in and put roots down wherever we were. He was talking about how much he loved this place and wanted to be involved. He was only here for nine short months, but it was more than enough to do a world of difference. And that was the point. He invested despite his short-term commitment. And I thought, if he could do it and he is here for much shorter than I am, then I should and can do it. So I did.

I found love in a hopeless place.

I found love of friends. I found love of family {four out of the five members in our family live here now}. I found love of church. I found love of community. I found love of nature and scenery. I found love of hobbies. I found love of school. I found love of nursing. I found love of self. I found love of creativity. I found . . . just so much love.

Those mood boards I pictured above are just one of the results of such love. They represent a creative and inspirational side of myself that had not been brought out until I found this place. Their themes this time around are classic beauties and summer birthdays. Basically, whatever mood I feel. But don't you see??? The mood is a result of the love. So I suspect you know the lyrics come from We Found Love by Rihanna. And I guess I'll leave you with a challenge. Perhaps hopeless places only stem from a hopeless perspective.

Happy Monday!



1 comments:

Bella said... [Reply to comment]

I loved every bit of this post!!