Friday, July 05, 2013

Summer Songs: "The Rest Is Still Unwritten"

 pictures from our Father's Day breakfast

Our pastor preached an amazing sermon on Father's Day Sunday. He started off by talking about the different kinds of fathers there were. It was heavy stuff, because some of the types he described were not good fathers. Not only am I not a father, but I am also not even a parent. However, I found this sermon so inspiring and motivating. He was challenging the fathers and also the men in the church to change their story. Change this world's story. To see the future in their children. To put away this culture's version of parenting and accept God's view of parenting.

What is that quote? "Be the change you wish to see in this world." Now, I know this sermon was meant specifically towards parenting. But what about other aspects of life? What kind of influence do you carry in the world around you? And then, I find myself asking is it a positive or negative influence?

On Wednesday, I wrote about the unknown future. Yes, we have no idea what this day, this week, or this year has in store for us. However, we can know something. We can choose for our reactions. We can choose for our attitudes. We can choose for our foundations. We can choose our character. There is so much unknown in this world, so why not embrace it with everything in us and use it in a positive way?

I want to look at the unknown and face it with a calm confidence. I want to face it with a goal of improvement and betterment. Haha, sometimes when I am joking to Brother, and he didn't catch what I said, he asks me to repeat myself. I jokingly reply "nope, I'm moving forward, never backwards." In that context, it is totally meant in fun. But it could be applied to life, to the future, to the unknown. Moving forward, never backwards. I am a 100% believer that you are either doing one or the other. Standing still is not an option.

So I guess the question remains, how are you going to face the unwritten this morning? My lyrics come from the song Unwritten by Natasha Bedingfield. "Reaching for something in the distance . . . "


Happy Friday!


0 comments: