Friday, July 12, 2013

Summer Songs: "And You Can Tell Everybody/This Is Your Song"


Alright, let's talk about the elephant in the room. Something that I haven't really talked about in my blog at all, but something that seems to always be talked about. I admire bloggers who tackle this subject fearlessly and wisely {check out Sweetness Itself for said wisdom}. Ready for it? Let's talk about relationships. Or more specifically, let's talk about being single. 

I am single. Yep. Now when you read that, your mind could have potentially gone a million different ways with a dozen different questions. Why? Why not? What happened? What's wrong with you? What's wrong with the guys around you? Enjoy it while you can. Blah, blah, blah. We've all heard it before {can I get an "amen"?}. 

Now, here are my thoughts on the subject. It's not the state of your relationship status that defines you. It's your reaction to the state of your relationship status. There are people who are single who wish to be married. And there are people who are married that sometimes wish they were single again. The grass is always greener . . . . I'm also not here to say that you just have to find something to occupy yourself while you are waiting {for all my single girls out there}. That is not what this is about. This is about my attitude. My heart.

Would I love to have something like the lyrics in the Elton John song Your Song??? Yes, of course, naturally. Am I sad that I don't? Sometimes. Do I let it impede who and what I am? No. See that is the difference. Yes, I want a relationship, and sometimes I am sad that I don't have one. But the key is to not let that be the governing factor in your song. It's about acknowledging these very real feelings that we have, and yet still being the best self that we can be {single or taken or whatever}. 

So yes, my heart melts like the hopeless romantic I am every time Christian serenades Satine in Moulin Rouge! with Your Song {is it bad that I like this version better than the original?}. But it's very normal, so I just accept it and then go on with the next thing that comes my way. Our song isn't just about the relationship we are in or the future relationship we will have. It is about our life yesterday, today, and tomorrow? So what do you want your song to sound like?

Happy Friday!