Saturday, June 22, 2013

Summer Songs: "Just Keep Swimming, Swimming, Swimming"


How fitting that after I write my "embrace life" and "Mondays aren't so bad" post that I literally have to eat my own words! What if you wake up and you just don't want to have an adventure? What if the day is drizzly and overcast, and you just want to crawl back into bed with your Harry Potter book and "The Bachelorette" recaps {speaking of which, any early guesses for who takes the final rose?? My first guess went home the 2nd week so there goes my intuition}. What if life is just "bleh"? Not bad, just "bleh".

Anybody ever read the blogposts on Boundless? This website is put on by Focus on the Family for Christian young adults. One of the more recent blogposts is titled "Leave Your Average Life Behind". Now admittedly, this post is specific to young men, but I found it rather inspiring for myself as well. The foundation of the article was not just settling for the average routine that this North America life has to offer us, but to get out there and basically make yourself useful.

Do you believe the quote that you find yourself when you serve others? I believe there is truth to that. But what if you just don't want to serve others? Or you just don't feel up to it? Or you just want to take a day off and concentrate on yourself {or even nothing}? I don't think days like that are possible. I think we either embrace life {even in just simple, small ways} or we embrace averageness. And for some reason, this life throws everything at us in order to keep us mediocre, even ineffective if you will. But fortunately there is more.

I realized how much one small, silly little thing can ruin a day for me. And even right there lies the problem, the fact that I calculate a good day by a 24 hour timeframe {living in a society obsessed with time, I suppose}. How come when something bad happens, I give up on the entire day as a whole, chalking it all up to "another bad day". Why can't it be "another bad moment"? Deal with it, and then move on to a wonderful day. I think I trust my feelings to my external circumstances a little too much.

So what do we do? We are having a "bleh" or even bad day. We just want to call it quits and start again tomorrow {sometimes not even that}. But here is the catch. We have to keep going. We have to lean on our true strength, the Lord, and continue swimming. Also singing Dori's catchy tune helps lighten the mood immensely.


Happy Saturday!


1 comments:

Bella said... [Reply to comment]

I never thought of our society as being "obsessed with time". What a thought provoking idea.
I love this series. You give me much to think about.
Also, this encourages me. :D <3